Friday, February 26, 2010

Blueberry muffins with crumb topping

Muffins that work are hard to find. When I find a recipe I can count on, I use it over and over again just varying the ingredients to suit what I have. I found a recipe from Enlightened Cooking that I tried and it was so great, I find I can hardly improve on it. But here it is my variation with some crumb toppings added and that made it extra special.

2 cups of flour I use 1 cup white or whole wheat and 1 cup barley flour
Barley flour makes everything so fluffy.
1 cup sugar I use brown natural sugar
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. soda
2 t. vanilla
3/4 cup milk or yogurt
1/4 cup oil or butter
1 egg beaten
2 cups fruit. in this case I used frozen blueberries
1/3 cup nuts, I used almonds
makes 12 muffins
oven 400

Combine dry ingredients, make a well in center, add wet ingredients that have been beaten together. Stir till just moist.
Fold in fruit and nuts.

Sprinkle with topping:
1/2 cup nuts
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 T. butter
mix in processor until crumbs stick together just a bit.

Fill the muffin tins with muffin papers or oil and flour the tins. Fill each cup halfway with batter.
spread on top of each muffin just before baking.
push down a bit so as not to fall off when baking.

If you wanted to make this a sweet bread it would make one loaf.

http://dailybreadkitchen.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment