Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Fruit Tart Crumb Bars

I thought I would post some delicious fruit bars Janie and I made last night.
I got the original recipe (called Cranberry Crumb Bars)  from my friend Robin (thank you, Robin!) and then made a few changes.  I also thought of some substitutions that would be nice if you don't have or don't want to use cranberry sauce.


Crust and Topping:

1 cup white flour (cake flour makes a softer dough)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups oats, I used whole grain
1 cup sugar or less
3/4 cup butter

Mix crust ingredients together until crumbly, you may need to add a little more or less butter.
reserve 1 1/2 cup of mixture for topping and press the rest into a 9x13 glass dish.
Bake for 15 min.  350 F

Meanwhile mix filling together.


Filling:
2 cups of canned cranberry sauce  or raspberry jam (low sugar variety)
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3/4 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup dried shredded coconut
3/4 cup crushed almonds
1/4 cup flour

Spoon over hot crust and bake another 45 min. Cut while warm to insure low crumbling and let cool in pan till firm.  Bars should be 2 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches aprox.  Should make about 25 bars. 

Delicious!






http://dailybreadkitchen.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment